Youth Forum Recommendations: Working Group on the Right of
peoples to self-determination and the prevention of conflicts
Self-determination is a struggle for individual rights and collective rights
of a society or community to determine how it can be justly governed in the
future in respect of its aspirations, as well as those of the international
After analysing the question of self-determination with some case studies,
we, the Youth, recommend:
- The UN Security Council should be restructured so that the question of veto
status would become flexible in order to be applicable to different
- Respect of UN resolutions by member states must be a condition of
international customary law.
- We recommend that the studies carried out by an expert of the UN
Sub-commission of Human Rights come out with positive recommendations about the
effect of globalization on people under the cause of self-determination.
- We request that the UN Security Council enforce its resolutions in the
following areas: the question of Western Sahara, the Palestinian people,
Southern Sudan, etc.; that people should be given a chance to determine their
destiny and the use of their wealth and natural resources.
- The international community should promote and support the International
Criminal Court. This Court will be a source of enforcing international human
rights laws and will give individuals and oppressed peoples a way of pursuing
criminal legal suits against states that oppress the rights of people fighting
We, the Youth, representing various youth organization in countries all over
the world, concerning the importance of the self-determination of all nations
and territories, agree to take the following actions:
- Establish campaigns of solidarity with people under occupations in
accordance with the UN definition.
- Lobby globally for self-determination of people in occupied territories, as
Indigenous Peoples and minorities.
- Study visits and assisting the non-violent protesters are important for
seeking self-determination through
- Organize international civil protection groups for peace to the IP,
minorities, and people under occupation.